---Reptiles & Amphibians
Klots, Alexander B. A Field Guide to the Butterflies.
- A Field Guide to the Butterflies of North America East of the Great Plains: All Species of North America East of the 100th Meridian, with 494 Drawings, Photographs and Paintings, 247 in Color
- Klots, Alexander B.
- The Peterson Field Guide Series
- Houghton Mifflin, Boston
- 0395258596 (Paperback)
- Statham, Marjorie (color paintings) & Florence Longworth (photographs)
- Table of Contents
- Butterfly Literature, Collections Etc.
- Index to Technical Terms and General Subjects, Index to Larval Food Plants, Index to Butterflies
- field guide, butterflies, North America, biology
- English (en)
- From the Book Cover
- If you want to know how to identify all the butterflies of eastern North America; where to find them, and their habits, life zones, and life histories; and how to make a butterfly collection, A Field Guide to the Butterflies is an indispensable guide for both beginner and expert, and a basic book for anyone interested in nature.
- Detailed descriptions of every butterfly species found east of the Great Plains, from Greenland to Mexico
- 40 plates show all the butterflies of importance247 species in color
- Each description gives common and scientific names, habits, range, food plants, habitat, subspecies, and much more
- Chapters on collecting and preserving, as well as accounts of families and subfamilies, life zones, indicator plants, and basic biology
- List of butterfly literature; checklist; indices to species, technical terms, and larval food plants; all the extra detail you expect from a Peterson Field Guide
- No longer available (but if you send me an e-mail message, I'll try to find you a used copy):
- Paperback, ISBN 0395258596
- Hardcover, ISBN 0395078652