---Reptiles & Amphibians
Hofer, Huffman & Ziesler. Mahale.
- Mahale: A Photographic Encounter with Chimpanzees
- Hofer, Angelika (text), Michael A. Huffman (text) & Klaus Christmann (haikus)
- Goodall, Jane
- Ziesler, Günter (more than 150 color photographs), Barbara Magunski (charcoal portraits) & Nicole Kleber (aquarelles)
- Table of Contents
- 160 (96 of which with pictures)
- Mahale, Tanzania, East Africa, chimpanzees, zoology, photography, animals, nature, behavior, biology
- English (en), translation of German Mahale: Begegnung mit Schimpansen
- My Summary
- A beautiful, many-facetted book, which describes the chimpanzee community of the Mahale Mountains National Park on Lake Tanganyika in Tanzania in words and pictures scientifically correctly and at the same time with the poet's eye.
It therefore appeals to both the biologist and the animal lover as well as everyone who is interested in beautiful things.
Robbin D. Knapp © 1999
- Jane Goodall:
- For me this book provides a fascinating window into a new chimpanzee world, filled with characters who differ from those whom I know so well at Gombe, yet are hauntingly the same, their way of life similar, yet spiced with difference.
The talented group of humans who have collaborated to produce this beautiful book lead us, by means of their words and their pictures, through landscapes so similar to that which is home to the Gombe chimpanzees that I was repeatedly surprised to see the faces that I did not recognise and read of behaviours that were new.
The book appeals, like the chimpanzees themselves, to more than the analytical mind of the scientist; anyone who loves nature can accompany Angelika and Gunter as they follow the different groups of chimpanzees on their wanderings.
The book celebrating the wild lives of chimpanzees of Tanzania's Mahale Mountains, will help to raise wariness so that more and more people understand just why these beings are so special why we go on studying them, learning about and from them, and why we need to fight for their survival in the wild and improve their conditions in captivity.
- See and/or order this title at Amazon.com:
- See and/or order this title at Amazon.co.uk:
- See and/or order this title at Amazon.de:
- See and/or order this title at Amazon.fr:
- Related Links